Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Little Women (Oxford World's Classics) Review

Little Women (Oxford World's Classics)
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
Like the previous reviewer, I was surprised to find that he book I had been occasionally rereading for over 50 years was NOT the original novel. My own copy, much loved and well thumbed, has been with me since I was a ten year old. I bought the Kindle version just to have it in my portable library, since I thought I knew it almost by heart. To my surprise, when I started looking it over, I found that the book was not the same at all. My original copy must have been "modernized" at some point. All of the familiar passages were there, but there was a great deal that I didn't remember reading before. Some of that was a specifically Victorian kind of moralizing, but there was also some expansion of the story.. I'm not sure that I would have appreciated it all when I was younger, but I found it a delight to read now, as an example of a book of its times. Now I'm going to download the rest of the Alcott catalogue and see how it compares to the books I thought were the originals when I read them many years ago. This was still an exemplary book. It will always be one of the classics.

Click Here to see more reviews about: Little Women (Oxford World's Classics)

This classic story of the March family women and their lives in New England during the Civil War has remained enduringly popular since its publication in 1868.Poor, argumentative, loving, and optimistic, the March sisters struggle to supplement their family's meager income and realize their own dreams.This highly autobiographical novel shows us women who are strong-minded and independent in their determination to control their own destiny.The introduction to this edition provides a fascinating history of the Alcotts, and a biographical history of Louisa Alcott's own struggles as a writer.

Buy Now

Click here for more information about Little Women (Oxford World's Classics)

0 comments:

Post a Comment