Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)Paolini is painted as a prodigy, and he very well may be. His book actually isn't half bad. His editor, however, should be fired.
I started reading it in an airport, but found it hard to concentrate on the similar words/names Paolini uses. On the plane, I used the glossary to refine my understanding of the words used.
Now, I am a fan of Tolkien just like the rest of the world, but I found it rather patronizing that the hero, on a quest for personal growth and self-discovery, is named so closely to Tolkien's Aragorn. That's just the most superficial example of Paolini's mimicry.
Paolini's age clearly shows in the underdeveloped dialogue that his characters engage in. Eragon's cousin is supposedly in a heated love affair with the daughter of the town's butcher, but their conversation is so dispassionate that it might as well have been a clinical analysis of romance.
These shortfalls could have been cured by a competent, attentive editor. Rather, it appears that the editor simply allowed Paolini's valiant, yet underdeveloped work go to press without the detailed review it deserved.
Paolini may be a gifted author for his age, but his work certainly does not earn some of the accolades it has been accorded. I, for one, will look for more from him once he matures as an individual and as an author.
Click Here to see more reviews about: Eragon (Inheritance)
0 comments:
Post a Comment