Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Writers Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers, 2nd Edition Review

The Writers Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers, 2nd Edition
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
I've read this book a number of times, as well as listened to Chris Vogler's lectures -- and every single time I come away with a deeper understanding of the hero's journey, the underlying mythic structure of stories, and some really useful insights into whatever story I'm developing at the time. But what's more, I'm always inspired with a greater awe of life itself.
I always find it interesting to see what others comment on in the reviews -- especially the more critical ones -- and I feel compelled to respond to some of them...
First of all, let me say that I completely respect everyone's opinion. We all have different paths, different styles, different tastes... But I think it is unfair and misleading to state that this book distills Campbell's work down into a formulaic writing style -- and that we would be better off just reading The Hero With a Thousand Faces.
Don't get me wrong, "Hero" is a great book and probably should be required reading in all writing courses, but it's a 400 page scholarly text with very broad applications. Saying we would be better off only reading that to improve our writing is like saying we would be better off reading the collective works of Newton in order to learn how to play baseball!
Using the Hero With a Thousand Faces, you could probably create a powerful book on relationships, family, business and, of course, the journey of life. What Vogler has done here is created a classic writing guide that shows us how to create stories with mythical power. It is an excellent adaptation of Campbell's source material. And while it teaches form, it never forces you into a formula.
I highly recommend it to all writers; to anyone involved in the creation of stories in any medium. Read it over and over. Watch movies, read stories, and try to notice the mythic structure in them. Let these ideas penetrate your subconscious -- where they can work on you, your writing, and even your life.

Click Here to see more reviews about: The Writers Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers, 2nd Edition

In 1993, The Writer's Journey became one of the most popular books on writing of the last 50 years.Now, the 2nd Edition provides new insights and observations from Vogler's pioneering work in mythic structure for writers.

Buy Now

Click here for more information about The Writers Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers, 2nd Edition

0 comments:

Post a Comment