Friday, February 10, 2012

The Megahit Movies Review

The Megahit Movies
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
I'm stunned by all the people that recommend this book. Yes, it doesn't talk about formatting, or the three act structure, or snappy dialog. But it says almost nothing valuable about what it professes to educate on. It's a constant reminder, near dogmatic, of simple statements: "Your audience must like the protagonist." "You should have a payoff at the end of the script." Well, no kidding.
The other flaw of this book is how little it takes into account of why these megahit films TRULY succeeded. A huge rash of them were surrounded by enormous hype and marketing. Sometimes upwards of $100 million alone in advertising. Independence Day was sold on the concept of the trailer alone, and went into production before even one word was typed on a page. What are the chances that the rules that applied to those films, will apply to the spec script you are trying to break in with? Even if he did clearly explain those rules, which I felt he did not.
Skip this book. I won't recommend any other books, but I'll recommend something else. I'll recommend to you what Mike Rich did before he came out of nowhere to win the Nicholl's and sell his first script,[...] Read spec scritps and early drafts if possible. And read the scripts that not only succeed, but succeeded not on raw financing power, but on merit.

Click Here to see more reviews about: The Megahit Movies

Screenwriting

Buy Now

Click here for more information about The Megahit Movies

0 comments:

Post a Comment